If you're looking to maximize your health, you must learn to make a shift from the current actions that you are doing, or else you'll continue to get the same results.
The common question I get at the Studio is "How long until I lose "X" pounds?" Or "How many classes do I need to do to lose X pounds."
I usually tell people that the workouts at the Studio is not a replacement for negligent nutrition at home.
The better question to ask is: "Besides esthetic means, why am I doing this?" That usually comes with a more meaningful response that can be carried over to maintaining a regular exercise regimen.
Sometimes, we have people that get frustrated with the lack of results they see. When I ask about their nutrition at home, they list the excuses why they've been eating junk food or drinking too much wine or simply just eating too much.
You can't out train an unhealthy diet.
Yet, there are a number of people that have been with us and achieved incredible results, from losing 80+ lbs, to qualifying for the Boston Marathon to reversing diabetes to keeping up with their kids during a weekend family bike ride (that's in large part to putting work on those airdyne bikes!)
I've found there are some common habits that these life changing healthy individuals share.
Here are five habits they have that you may want to incorporate in your own life for true and long lasting health:
1- They put their health first. People who live healthy lives make their well-being a priority. It isn’t always easy to do, but they make sure they spend time at the gym, make healthy food choices, and get some sort of physical activity each and every day.
You're already sacrificing time, energy and your cognitive bandwidth for your work. Don't sacrifice your health too!
2- They don't let negativity take over their lives. 5% of the news if useful information needed to stay in tune with what's going on in the world, the other 95% is information that uses fear tactics to get you hooked on watching more, sharing the negativity and getting into useless arguments with people about things that are totally our of our control.
That cycle can affect our relationship, our work and our health. Fit people learn to take control of the things that are under their control.
Being positive all the time is a fairy tale, but being aware of what kind of energy you bring into a room is life changing...for both you and whoever is in the room =)
3- They take time to rest. Fit people realize the importance of having some down time. Your body needs time to regenerate and recover because, without it, your muscles, joints and mind become overworked and weak.
4- They eat consciously. Fit people make a habit of monitoring everything that goes into their mouths because they know the harmful effects of mindless eating. Make a habit of eating with purpose and you will soon see how much it affects your waistline.
5- They understand that health is more than just weight loss. Fit people need to exercise to keep themselves sane, their hormones balanced and their mindset in the right place. They understand the positive effects of hormones in their body and realize that it’s not all about what the scale says.
Looking good doesn't necessarily translate to feeling good. I've met people who were skinny, but also starving and angry with the whole world because they hadn't eaten carbs in weeks. Find a deeper meaning and you'll be able to sustain an exercise program for the long haul!
Committed to your health,